About Dr. Sari Fine Shepphird, Ph.D.
Dr. Shepphird is a licensed psychologist, award-winning author, consultant, and educator. She is the founder of Sport & Perform, a High Performance Consulting practice dedicated to sport and performance psychology. Dr. Shepphird provides psychological skills training (also known as mental skills training), personal coaching, and consulting to individual athletes, performing artists, corporate leaders, and sports teams (including AD’s and coaches). In addition to her work as a sport and performance psychologist, she provides psychotherapy to teens, adults, and couples on a range of issues.
Dr. Shepphird’s private office is located near Los Angeles, in the city of Calabasas, California. Dr. Shepphird’s professional activities focus on a range of topics, including applied sport psychology, performance psychology, eating disorders, body image, life transitions, and life coaching.
Dr. Shepphird is a leader in sport & performance psychology, chairing local, state, and national committees in the field. Joining Dr. Kate Hays, she offers training to aspiring sport and performance psychology professionals through their Tele-Consultation Groups. Dr. Shepphird also brings more than 20 years of experience to her highly regarded and well-noted work as a specialist in the area of eating disorders treatment.
Highly trained and recognized in her field, she also is a sought-after media personality, accomplished author, and public speaker. Her post-graduate level teaching in the social aspects of psychology further enhances both her professional coaching and psychotherapy practice as well as her routine involvement with the media and public speaking.
Her award winning book 100 Questions and Answers about Anorexia Nervosa is currently available on Amazon.com
Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, 1996; California School of Professional Psychology.
M.A. in Clinical Psychology, 1994; California School of Professional Psychology.
B.A. in Psychology, 1991; University of California, Irvine.
Some Additional Noted Professional Activities:
- Executive Committee; Society for Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology (Division 47); American Psychological Association
- Chair; Sport & Performance Psychology Section, Professional Practice Division of the California Psychological Association
- Co-Chair; Performance Psychology Section Steering Committee, American Psychological Association Division of Sport, Exercise & Performance Psychology
- Founder & Current Leader; Sport & Performance Psychology Special Interest Group; Los Angeles County Psychological Association
- Member of the Board of Directors; California Psychological Association (2008-2010)
- Member of the Board of Directors; Division of Clinical and Professional Practice; California Psychological Association (2007-2010).
- Member of the Board of Directors; The Los Angeles Society of Clinical Psychologists (2007-2010).
- Eating Disorders Advocacy Committee; Academy for Eating Disorders (2007-2009).
- Board of Directors; Clinical Psychology of Women/Clinical Psychology Division of the American Psychological Association (2009-2010).
- Adjunct Faculty Instructor; California School of Professional Psychology/Alliant International University
Earlier in her career Dr. Shepphird worked at various clinics in Los Angeles, including the Fuller Theological Seminary Psychological Services Center, the Airport-Marina Counseling Center, the San Fernando Valley Day Treatment Center and Pasadena City College Learning Disabilities Student Services. In addition, Dr. Shepphird has been a professional speaker and writer for more than a decade.
Licensed Clinical Psychologist – California. License Number PSY20922
Dr. Shepphird is in good standing at the following organizations:
• American Psychological Association
• California Psychological Association
• The Los Angeles County Psychological Association
• Sport, Exercise & Performance Psychology Division of the American Psychological Association
• Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP)
A Word about the California School of Professional Psychology and Psychologists:
California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP) at Alliant International University is an innovator of professional psychology training and studies in the state of California. The Clinical Psychology Program is fully accredited by the American Psychological Association and meets their rigorous standards for training in psychology. In 1969, it was the first free-standing professional school of psychology in the nation, filling California psychologists’ need for clinical training as opposed to solely research-based studies. Prior to the advent of CSPP, 90% of California psychologists were receiving clinical training out-of-state.
Psychologists like Dr. Shepphird hold a doctorate degree in psychology (either a PhD, a PsyD, or an EdD). Psychologists typically complete four to seven years of graduate training combined in education, research, human behavior, behavior change, assessment and diagnosis of mental health concerns, and a broad range of psychological and therapeutic techniques. In the United States, psychologists are currently permitted to prescribe medication in a limited number of states although not in California (in contrast with psychiatrists who are medical doctors and able to prescribe medication).
Learn more about the American Psychological Association’s Sport Psychology Proficiency (Click here)
- TPI Certified (Titleist Performance Institute), Level 1
- Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor