The good news is that the majority of people with eating disorder symptoms recover from their illness. It may take time, support, and often a great deal of effort, but RECOVERY IS POSSIBLE! Learning to recognize if you have an eating disorder is the first step to gaining control over the disorder. Eating disorders are treatable and most people who are treated do recover – the first steps toward recovery are learning more about eating disorders and getting the help that is available.
Negative body image, with or without eating disorder symptoms, can also interfere with one’s quality of life, affecting self-esteem, sense of worth and value, and potentially leading to social anxiety, shame, and isolation.
Extreme, persistently negative views about one’s body may be symptoms of Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD).
Fortunately, there are steps that can be taken to improve your body image, reduce distress, and improve both how you feel about your body and how your relate to your body.
Keep reading below for articles and resources to help you learn more about eating disorders, body image, and related symptoms:
Dr. Shepphird is also a Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor. Click HERE to learn more.
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- Body Image Basics for Families, by Dr. Shepphird
- Family Based Treatment for Anorexia Nervosa (also known as Maudsley Therapy)
- Athletes and Anorexia – An Elite Athlete’s Story
- Top 10 Myths About Anorexia Nervosa
- The Female Athlete Triad
- An Exercise Dependence / Compulsive Exercise Scale
- Q & A with Dr. Shepphird about Eating Disorders – Part I
- Q & A with Dr. Shepphird about Eating Disorders – Part II
- Pregnancy and Eating Disorders (“Pregorexia”)
- BLOG articles by Dr. Shepphird
- “Can You Tell Anything by a Person’s Weight? (from NEDA)
- “Eating Disorders Affect Us All” (from NEDA)
- Eating Disorder General Statistics (from NEDA)
- “Media, Body Image and Eating Disorders” (from NEDA)
- The Ten Principles of Intuitive Eating
- Intuitive Eating – Resources about the Intuitive Eating Approach
- American Psychological Association – Consumer Information, News, Information & Resources
- California Psychological Association – More Helpful Consumer Information, Psychology News, Information & Resources
Informative Videos regarding adolescent eating disorders:
- Family-Based Treatment from Maudsley Parents on Vimeo.
- National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders
- Eating Disorders Referral Network
- Eating Disorders Hope Organization
- National Eating Disorders Association
- The American Dietetic Association
- Eating Disorders Coalition Become Involved in Eating Disorders Advocacy and Support Legislative Efforts Toward Improving Health Care & Treatment Access
- MaudsleyParents.org Information and resources about a family-based approach to eating disorders treatment
- “Body Sense” Promoting Positive Body Image in Sport
- Emotional Eating Questionnaire – by psychologist Dr. Ed Abramson
- www.MoveYourMind.Info An informative website about the benefits of a balanced approach to exercise and mental health
This website is provided for information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for a medical or psychological evaluation. Sari Shepphird, Ph.D. is not responsible or liable for any diagnosis, decision, or self-assessment made by a user based on the content of this website. Always contact 911 or other emergency services if you feel that you are in crisis.